Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 4 @ LA: 101 Hollywood for an Indian

The industry seminars has been so far packed with writers and producers but today’s itinerary had two areas of the media which may not have interested me as career options but definitely made me learn a lot more than I knew of them so far.

First up, we visited the Rhythm and Hues Animation Studio and met up with an animation artist and a producer. I could recall most of what I had learnt of the process of animation when I was producing a feature story on the animation industry in India but there was so much else about this craft and its business that was new to me. It was interesting to learn that there is a designation such as ‘Production Executive’ in an animation studio and that his/her task is to scout for new projects. We were also told that Rhythm and Hues is presently in collaboration with a movie company and for the first time R&H is a profit participant and not just a service provider. This new understanding has piqued my interest to learn more of profit sharing models for creative collaborators in the industry. So, a step forward in this direction will be to ask Evan Smith -- who is teaching us Film Business this semester -- links and articles to catch up with this facet of the business side. I also had no prior idea that the budget of an animation project is calculated shot by shot!

As we moved from one side of the studio to another, I noticed a couple of Indian men in conversation with employees of Rhythm and Hues and I instantly thought of Pixar, Framebox and the less recognized but equally efficient numerous little animation units across Mumbai and Hyderabad that are executing a chunk of the ideas developed here in the US. A decade after the IT boom and call centre outsourcing phenomenon, here we are, Indians and Americans working on the same germ of an idea through the same models of outsourcing. I am now keen on finding out if someone with my interest in development and learning the business side of the entertainment industry, can explore job opportunities in the animation industry. I would be excited to intern with the development department of a studio and also help facilitate dialogue and strategy with animation outfits in India who are at the other end of the outsourcing spectrum. I raised this question to Scot, the producer and after a bit of quizzing me on my background, he offered his e-mail id and said he would get back to me with a suggestion if I could write to him soon. And I am definitely doing that first thing when I get back.

We then returned to our hotel where a panel of Producers and directors all working in live TV was to engage with us. Production on live TV is something I am familiar with and hence assumed I would not have much to take away from the ongoing discussion. But once again I was surprised. Mr Rosenblatt explained how one’s personality drives one’s professional advancement in this line and also emphasized that the strategy to bettering one’s craft is to, “take things that are good for you and not those that will pay you a lot of money. Money will come if you enjoy and are good at what you do”. Yet another panelist saying the same thing all over again, but after all clichés are nothing but the truth often repeated. I interpreted his advice as this: a creative professional will thrive if he does what he can to apply himself to his work spontaneously and sincerely. I also made a note of Rosenblatt’s statement that the present crop of producers in live TV are less familiar with the history of this business. I have realized that despite my familiarity with American sitcoms and films growing up we watched more American content than any other), I need to read and watch TV series over the years and see how the styles have evolved. This will help me not only understand the popular culture references but also be more engaging with potential employers while I explore job opportunities here.

The day progressed to the most anticipated event on this entire trip’s schedule – the networking evening with Syracuse alumni. Walking into a room packed with a little over a hundred people and knowing that most of them were accomplished or recognised names in the industry was initially a bit intimidating. So, I started by talking to people who had started out in LA just a few years ago after graduating from Newhouse. I first spoke to a group of three men: Adam, Pete and Brent who go by ‘boardbrothers’ and are Syracuse graduates from 2006. I found out how they moved out to LA and got them to share their experience and efforts in sustaining their own creative aspiration on the sidelines while working on other jobs that help them sustain their group’ creative pursuits. I must have spoken to Adam alone for 40 minutes and was enthralled as he drew me deeper and deeper into his personal experiences that have shaped him as a writer and producer. The conversation must have really engaged him because he made sure that I had his contact number and mail id and asked me to get in touch with him whenever I need to for help. Feeling much better and more prepared to forge new friendships in this room, I moved on to interact with Steve Kent (Senior Executive VP of Programming at Sony Pictures Television), Doug Robinson (Executive Producer, ‘Rules of Engagement’) and Norm Gunzenhauser (writer of Newhart and Murhy Brown amongst many other sitcoms of the early 80s) for more detailed one on one conversations . While Mr Kent did not have enough time for a long conversation he has been kind enough to provide his contact information and ask me to get in touch with him. I am excited at the possibilities that might arise from this meeting and hope to learn more of Sony’s business plans in India in the motion picture and television industry. The evening ended with a heart warming conversation with Mr Gunzenhauser and I am glad I had this incredible opportunity to meet and talk to people who share a bond not only through Newhouse but by their passion for this industry. As Mr Gunzenhauser said, now it’s time to be calm and receptive while small and big opportunities come by in their most inconspicuous form at me. Only then will I be able to make the most of what LA has to offer.

No comments: